Skopje is the capital and the largest city of the Republic of Macedonia. It is the administrative, political and cultural centre of the Republic of Macedonia with 467,000 citizens. Skopje lies on the both banks on the upper course of the Vardar river.
Skopje plays a vital part in the cultural and the academic life of the Republic of Macedonia. It is the home of some educational institutes: Macedonian Academy of Science and Arts, the Saints Cyril and Methodius University, the National and University Library,; home of some cultural institutes: the Macedonian National Theatre and it's Drama, Opera and Ballet companies, the Drama Theatre, the Philharmonic of Macedonia, Macedonian Radio and Television and Nova Makedonija, the largest newspaper and publishing house, the Universal Hall (Univerzalna Sala). There are also the Archives of Macedonia, the Museums of Macedonia (archeological, ethnological and historical), the Natural history Museum, the Museum of Contemporary Art, several art galleries and other important cultural and scientific institutions.
Industries in Skopje include iron and steel works, electrical machinery, chemicals, textiles, carpets, and foodstuffs. Skopje is a trading center for the cotton, tobacco, grains, and livestock produced in the surrounding region as well.
Since the year of 2000 the citizens of Skopje, from every part of Skopje can see the Millennium Cross, that symbolizes 2000 years of Christianity. It was built on top of the Vodno mountain, located south of Skopje, at an attitude of 1,066 meters above the sea level, with it's dimensions 66 and 20 meters. It is unique building in the world. There should be built a monastery complex in it's surroundings and a restaurant with a spectacular view of Skopje.
The Kale Fortress: This fortress has the dominant place in Skopje. It was built of stone blocks from the ruins of Skopje of Scupi, during the rule of the Byzantium Emperor Justinijan the 1st. The ramparts of the Skopsko Kale are 121 meter long and today one square, one rectangular and one round tower are saved. It originates from the 6th century, while it's presents appearance is from the Ottoman period.
The Stone Bridge: According to certain data the bridge was built in the 6th century, whereas in its present form it was raised upon the old foundation in the time of the Sultan Murat 2nd in the first half of the 15thcentury. It was built of well worked out stone blocks and has 12 semicircular arches. This monumental building has undergone larger repairs through the centuries, but today the bridge has still kept the primary shape and form.
Old Skopje Bazaar: On the left side of the river Vardar, in the ancient part of Skopje is the old Skopje bazaar. Up to the present time the bazaar has experienced several changes in respect of the appearance and the organization, but it has still kept the spirit of the past. In the small innumerable handicraft shops, the Skopje's handicraftsmen can still be seen, tailors, cobbler, quilt makers, shoe makers, tinsmiths etc.
Sveta Bogorodica (Holy Mother of God): This church was built in 1835 and was main cathedral church in Skopje. It was also known as the protector of Skopje. The iconostasis was finished in 1842. On April 7th1944 the cathedral church, was burned down by the Bulgarian fascists. The entire iconostasis was burned, while important subjects were stolen and taken to Bulgaria. It's located on the Krste Misirkov bvd, opposite the Macedonian Academy of Science and Art (MANU). Today its in reconstruction.
Daut Pasha's Bath: This project is one of the most prominent monuments of the Islamic profane architecture. The Turkish bath was built by the grand vizier of Rumelija, Daut Pasha in the 15th century. In the first time it was used for the needs of its harem, and later it served as a public bath. Today, the Turkish bath is turned into an art gallery with a wide choice of Macedonian icons of the 14th to the 19th century, collective works of Macedonian artists - pictures, sculptures, graphics, and drawings and more recently in the rooms of the Turkish bath also concerts are held, promotions of books, theater performances with chamber orchestra etc.
Holy Savior Church: (also known as Sveti Spas) It was built in the beginning of the 17th or 18th century, upon foundations on an older church. Part of the fresco painting on the southern side was found from this older church which origins from 16th century. In contrast to the modest outside appearance of the church, after one enters inside, he immediately becomes astonished in front of the beauty of the iconostasis on the eastern side. The 19th century iconostasis of the church of the Holy Savior, carved in walnut, combines a profusion of plant and animal motifs with the figures of saints in local costumes. This realistic high-relief carving is the work of skilful craftsmen of the Debararea, who included their own figures in one corner of the iconostasis. The iconostasis is 6 meters high and 10 meters long. On this space, the carving group managed to show numerous scenes from the bible, important geometrical ornaments and figures from the flora and the fauna. The iconostasis at this church is one of the finest samples of traditional woodcarving which can be found on the territory of the Republic of Macedonia along with the iconostasis of St. Jovan Bigorski Monastery. Goce Delcev, the well known Macedonian revolutionary organizer is buried in the yard of this church.
St. Pantelejmon Monastery: This famous church, is located in the vicinity of the Gorno Nerezi village, on theVodno Mountain, where Skopje can be seen on a hand. This church dates back from the 12th century, from the year of 1164 (the Byzantine period). The church interior is decorated with frescoes of exceptional artistic value.
Kursumli An: In the sources, Kursumli An is mentioned as a memorial of Mula Musledin Hodza. Kursumli An acts impressively and delightfully with its monumentality, decoratively built walls and the numerous domes in shape of pyramids. Today, the complex of the Museum of Macedonia is located within the Turkish bath. The yard of Kursumli An during the summer period is being used for organizing of cultural manifestations: dramatic performances, concerts, literature readings…
Mustafa Pasha's Mosque: In the vicinity of Kursumli-an, in the old part of Skopje this monument of the Islamic culture attracts the attention with its size and beauty. The mosque was built by Mustafa Pasha in 1519, the vizier of the Sultan Selim 1st. Particularly attractive part of this building is the tall minaret, made of cut stone, whereas the expanded part is decorated with ornaments.
The Aqueduct: On 2 kilometers north-west from Skopje, the aqueduct was built of stone and bricks with 55 arches supported on massive pillars. For the building of the aqueduct there were shared opinions in the science. According some scientists it was a Roman aqueduct whereas according to others it was a Byzantium building. The last scientific researches connect the building of the aqueduct with Isa bey, which means that it was built during the time of the Turkish rule and more precisely in 16th century. Aqueducts in former Yugoslavia were only 3, one in Macedonia and two in Montenegro.